Tuesday 23 September 2014

23.09.2014

Hi there!

My name is Ashvin Nair and currently I am the public relations officer for Colosoul Group Inc. I'm still fairly new here as but I've have been spending the past 5 months helping to organise and promote some the events that we have hosted. It's also my final semester and Curtin University and majoring in public relations and marketing and I can't wait to graduate!

I am writing this from our awesome new basement space and it's still got a bit of work to go but I can see this is going to be an amazing reflection of the organisation and I can only imagine the creative juices that'll be flowing  once it's all completed.

I've only recently grasped the concept of practical public relations and how it works in the non-profit environment and I really appreciate the opportunity to put my past 3 years of repetitive theoretical concepts and assignment writing to some real world use (especially when it's for events that will provide a positive impact on those in need).

Working in the non-profit sector has been very fulfilling for me however it's not without its hurdles. One of which I have experienced in my department is the "getting-your-foot-in-the-door syndrome" I suffered from at the beginning of my work. I found it very hard to get the events and organisation pitched well enough to  new media platforms or publications. I found that If you don't pitch your ideas quickly and well enough they will not want to hear anything about you! I do feel I am overcoming my "getting-your-foot-in-the-door syndrome" and am developing strongly the skill of event/news story pitching to journalists and organisations efficiently and effectively.

I've learnt to be persistent and to wade through the rejection just to get to that one moment of success. For now I soldier on and I know I have plenty more to learn which motivates me to get as much experience under my belt and to make the most of  my time here with Colosoul.


-Ashvin Nair (Public Relations officer)


0 comments :

Post a Comment