Monday 23 November 2015

How I Got to Colosoul

By Josh Larsen

Born in 1989 in northern suburbs of Perth. I was brought up in a small house in Mirrabooka. I had a fairly typical upbringing.
In year 9 I was introduced to drugs and let my life spiral out of control. For 10 years I have been in and out of jobs, relationships and rehabs. My latest job and relationship fell through in June this year. I'd had enough. This time something shifted inside me. I remember thinking of the famous Einstein quote - "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results". It was time to try something new. I knew that working a mundane repetitive lifestyle just didn’t work for me. So I choose to pack my car up and live on the streets, giving away my possessions and the burdens that came with materialistic things. I eventually found what I loved, which is helping music and happiness. Problem is, it's hard to continue on with out money, especially if I wanted to continue attending gigs. I needed a way to attend gigs for free and get involved in the hip-hop scene. So I did what any man with nothing does. I asked the Universe. The very first job opportunity that caught my attention was a position at Colosoul under the magazine WordPlay as the hip-hop event writer. The perfect entry point for an aspiring mc/writer. The next day I applied and gained the position.

I have been with Colosoul for 2 and a half months now and life and my mental health is balancing out in a very definitive way. My challenges are still very real and I still take baby steps but they are definitely in the right direction.

0 comments :

Post a Comment