Wednesday 31 August 2016

Style Philosophy

I think we all understand that personal style is a thing, but I don’t think people really discuss how important personal style can actually be. When you don’t have a style of your own, sometimes you feel a little lost or even a little out of place. I know I’ve had times where everything I wear doesn’t feel like me and it doesn’t feel right, I lose my confidence and it’s kind of crazy how something so small can actually mean so much. Though whenever I’m in doubt I go back to black, it’s always easy to start from there. So many people take on style in different ways. For those who are gender fluid or don’t stick to one kind of ‘gendered’ clothing, it can be difficult to find clothing for yourself but when you can put it all together, your personal style shows everyone who you are. As people tend to ‘read’ other people, clothing is the first thing they’re looking at when trying to determine what kind of person you are. If you’re feeling like being a bit of a rocker, or you want to feel strong, maybe you’ll wear a leather jacket. People interpret that as cool, chic and a little bit edgy (apparently). If you were something flow-y with a lot of movement people think that you’re sweet and easy going. Everything has a connotation even if we don’t realise it.




Recently I haven’t exactly been feeling myself, with everything going on I just chuck on literally anything that looks like it’ll go together. I feel a little odd but I don’t have time to worry about what I’m wearing, yet I notice a lack in confidence and productivity, which seems super strange but hey, I’m just telling you how I feel. I knew that I needed a bit of a change, but change takes time and effort - when you volunteer at a youth organisation (and kind of love your job), your effort doesn’t exactly go towards what you wear in the morning, yet it’s so much more important than I thought it was. I took a short break, reenergised, went to a different state and explored different styles, so when I came back, I kind of came back brand new, like I was going to dominate this world. And that’s exactly how I want to feel everyday. 




It literally sounds ridiculous, but lets be real, if you’re wearing track pants and a sweater you probably just want to be snuggled up at home rather than out and about. So everyday I plan to dress like I’m going somewhere, so I actually go somewhere and I actually do something. It’s just my philosophy in being productive. One of my favourite bloggers Margaret Zhang, once said something along the lines of wearing bright red lipstick when she was going to study at the library, so she knows not to ruin her makeup and to get her work done. Makeup, clothing and anything that ‘aids’ to our appearance is a factor in how we act throughout the day, Zhang knew that, and even though I read that post over a year ago, I’m only just starting to realise the power that comes with style.



Plus, who doesn’t want to look like they could dominate the world.


By Tiffany Kennedy 

0 comments :

Post a Comment